Friday, February 11, 2011

Getting a Jump Start on Valentine's Day with Strawberry Pancakes




I was baking last night (I bake almost every night) to have some muffins for my kids to snack on and to take to my Grandparent's house today and decided to make pancakes for this morning. I found a recipe from Cooking God's Way that I have been wanting to try. It's for Easy Blender "Overnight" Pancakes. The recipe calls for blueberries, which I ran out of making their Ultimate Whole-Grain Blueberry Muffins so I substituted frozen, organic strawberries. A little Soap Box moment here: Please don't use non-organic berries. They are at the top of the Dirty Dozen List for pesticides. You can get a cool wallet guide of the list at Food News. I keep mine on my fridge. Paying a few cents extra for pesticide-free food will really help your children develop properly. A new study on pesticides and children came out today over at Natural News that you may want to take a look at.

Back to the pancakes...I didn't have buttermilk nor did I feel like making my own late at night so I used raw milk and simply added a splash or two of apple cider vinegar to the batter. Soaking the grains overnight makes them easier to digest by breaking down the phytic acids or "anti-nutrients". Cooking God's Way offers a Free E-course that teaches the basics of Real Food including a lesson on soaking grains. I highly recommend it.

Go out and grab the ingredients you need and after dinner tonight, prepare the batter for these delicious pancakes. Tomorrow morning you will be able to make them in 5 minutes and your kids will say that you should work at IHop! Mine did.

Enjoy!

Keep it Real!

~Sarah

1 comment:

  1. Hi there Sarah!

    My name is Steve Walters and I recently started blogging at http://www.eatingbangkok.com, which is currently being updated with recipes, but in the next few months will be my vehicle for covering the food and restaurant scene in Bangkok Thailand.

    I am now in the process of meeting as many food bloggers as I can and I found your site http://realfoodoutlaws.blogspot.com recently and was pretty impressed. I've added your site to my Foodie Blogs list here: http://www.eatingbangkok.com/foodie-blogs/ and would also like to add you to my blogroll.

    If you could add my site to your blogroll and write back to let me know it has been added (foodie [at] eatingbangkok.com) I will add you to mine as well and the exchange would be greatly appreciated!

    As you might imagine I am very excited to get moved to Bangkok and get started on covering the food scene there as I feel it is an area that isn't well covered by English speaking bloggers. I plan on adding loads of great reviews, pictures and even video and will be holding contests as well. It should be fun, entertaining and informative for everyone that visits.

    Thank you so much in advance for adding me to your blogroll and I look forward to reading your posts (I've subscribed!) and maybe even featuring some of your own posts as I do plan on a weekly roundup of Thai themed recipes and posts from other food bloggers.

    Warm regards,
    Steve

    P.S. If you are on Twitter I would love to have you as a follower and I follow back:
    http://www.twitter.com/eatingbangkok

    ReplyDelete