Saturday, January 22, 2011

Saturday Morning Recipe - Apple-Cinnamon Waffles


My favorite thing to do on a Saturday morning is cook. Being able to take my time and make a good nutritious breakfast is really important to me. During the week I make variations of eggs or slow-cooker oatmeal for the sake of time, but on Saturdays I can go all out. This morning we had one of our favorites: Apple-Cinnamon Waffles. This is my originally my Mom's recipe that I modified. There almost was no picture for these because my kids were eating them faster than I could stack them!



Apple-Cinnamon Waffles
(or Pancakes)


Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup organic, whole wheat pastry flour (or substitute your favorite gluten-free flour)
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
3/4 teaspoon organic cinnamon
1 tablespoon organic evaporated cane (Rapadura) sugar or raw honey
2 teaspoons aluminum-free baking powder
2 free-range, organic eggs -- separated
1 cup organic milk (I use raw)

1 tsp. vanilla (optional)
3/4 cup peeled grated organic apples
1/4 cup organic butter or coconut oil

Extra organic butter and organic maple syrup (I use Grade B maple syrup) or honey for topping.


Directions:
 Sift together flour, salt cinnamon, sugar and baking powder.
 Beat egg yolks; add milk and vanilla.
 Combine with dry mixture; add apples and melted butter (or oil).
 Beat egg whites until stiff and fold into batter.
 Bake until golden brown in hot waffle iron or pancake griddle.
 Top with organic butter and maple syrup or honey.

Enjoy!


Love,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment