Thursday, September 8, 2011

Ratatouille




This is a seasonal recipe that I used to make with my elementary after-school program. This time of year I need a lot of recipes to use up my squash and eggplant. This one uses both! It's fantastic by itself or as a side dish. I left out the mushrooms this time because I did not have any. I have a ton of Tarragon in my herb garden which is wonderful to use in place of the Oregano in this recipe. I also substitute ghee for the olive oil because I prefer not to heat olive oil. You can purchase ghee from Pure Indian Foods. You can also add a hot pepper in with this recipe to give it some kick and extra flavor. I chop the peppers and onions rather than cut them into rings so my kids will eat them. They love this dish and cleaned their plates!

As always, use organic ingredients whenever possible.
RATATOUILLE

Courtesy of Jeanne Hammonds, A.S.E. Enrichment




1/3 C. Olive oil, butter or ghee
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 large onion, sliced into thick rings or roughly chopped
4 medium zucchini, sliced
¼ pound mushrooms, sliced
1 green or red pepper, seeds removed and cut into rings or roughly chopped
1 medium eggplant, peeled and diced
4 firm tomatoes, quartered
¼ C. fresh chopped parsley
½ tsp. oregano or tarragon
2 tsp. basil
1 tsp. sea salt
1/4 cup or more grated parmesan cheese
ground black pepper to taste



Method



Heat ghee in a large frying pan and sauté garlic and onion until onions are limp.  Add zucchini, mushrooms and pepper and sauté a few minutes longer.  Remove from heat and add the eggplant and tomatoes, parsley, oregano, basil and vegetable seasoning.  Mix well.  Pour into a casserole dish and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.  Serve at once.  It can also be served cold along with dark bread and cheese.  Yield:  8 servings


You kitchen will smell amazing!

Enjoy!

2 comments: