Monday, March 14, 2011

Homemade Organic Chocolate-Hazelnut Spread (Nutella)

I have arrived! I made my own Nutella! Ta-Da! That's how I felt yesterday when I tasted my homemade Nutella and it tasted just like the "real thing". Our family loves Nutella. I fell in love with it when I lived in Germany. I couldn't get enough! Imagine my excitement when I discovered that I could make it on my own!

I got this recipe from The Family Kitchen Blog and they got it from David Lebovitz. It varies from the original Nutella recipe because it uses chocolate instead of cocoa powder. My version is varied in that I used all organic ingredients and raw milk. I also did not have milk chocolate so I used semi-sweet and dark.

Homemade Organic Chocolate-Hazelnut Spread (Nutella)

1 1/2 cups whole organic hazelnuts (I got mine from the bulk bin at Whole Foods)
1 1/2 cups milk (mine is raw)
3/4 cups powdered milk (mine is Organic Valley)
1 Tbsp honey (mine is local, organic, raw)
Pinch of sea salt
1 heaping cup chopped bittersweet or semisweet chocolate or chips (I used organic)
1 scant cup chopped milk chocolate or chips (I used dark)

Toast the hazelnuts on a rimmed baking sheet at 400 degrees for 10 minutes (or until fragrant and their skins begin to pop). Transfer to a hand towel and rub the skins off. Transfer to a BlendTec, Vitamix, or food processor and blend until they become pasty and thick like peanut butter.



Warm the milk, powdered milk, honey and salt in a saucepan until right before boiling if you are using raw milk. You can bring it just to boiling if you are using already pasteurized milk. Remove from heat.


 Melt the chocolate in a separate bowl. 

Add the melted chocolate to the ground nuts and continue blending. Add the milk mixture and blend until it is as smooth as it can get. It's a bit thin so put it into a container and refrigerate it. I keep mine in the fridge because of the raw milk It says that it yields 2 cups but mine was more like 4 cups.



It's awesome!

Enjoy, and Keep it Real!

~Sarah

1 comment:

  1. Our daughter came back from Germany raving about Nutella...I explained to her it was made with hydrogenated oil and I would not be buying it. Thanks for an alternative, I will have to surprise her with this :D

    ReplyDelete